- Identify common social media behaviors that repulse your audience.
- Get tips and techniques to change ineffective twitter behaviors.
- How to increase and attract more focused audience engagement.
Could you please turn down the noise your Twitter profile ? So if you have never heard of the concept of noise being visual, you must be that person at Walmart who wears Bengal print sweat pants.
Communication channels, like email, twitter and even your run of the mill website can suffer from diarreah of the mouth like a rebound date on Valentines goes on about their ex. It is the same level of annoying, except in most cases your fellow Twits didn’t sign up for that crap.
So you are crazy about attaining viral success but you don’t know how to manage an aggressive strategy ? Let me give you a few common symptoms of social media megaphoning, just in case you don’t know how to recognize it.
- Your cd is on skip - Repetition… repetition… repetition, why do you think repetitive nonsense will persuade on a mass communication scale. This as bad as the frequency syndrome of direct marketing age. One or 2 tweets about your new cd on iTunes is cool. Twenty is way too many. The same thing goes for saying the same thing over and over. At some point I don’t care about your whether I like your music or not, I just want the annoyance to stop.
- Adding chicken bones to the offering plate – Have you ever seen that profile that has an update number in the 10′s of thousands, but follower numbers in the 20′s. This is a sign of 1 way communication. Send messages that have meaning to the receiver, we want to follow you back, you just have to give us a reason. If you are on twitter for personal reasons alone, get a seperate personal account and don’t mix business with personal. They make lists for this reason.
- Lets have a conversation about me – Related to no offering, but twice as annoying, is the guy who loves to share about his bathroom habits or each and every one of his mundane life events. Twitter and Facebook are not your personal diary space (you need to make your profile private so that all of your followers are blessed with your narcissism) Share your favorite restaurants, books, movies, comments and opinions, but keep the TMI. We all go to bed eventually, no need to make an huge public announcment about going off line.
- Respect others space - This tip is aimed more at Facebook than Twitter. It is very crucial before you start sharing in any groups, forums or even on others’ personal blogs to do some active listening first. Commenting and link sharing can definitely build good will and connectivity on the web, but talking about subjects off topic thats something different. Share links that are relevant, and only add comments that are part of the conversation.
- Golden Rule thou shalt be transparent - Lets get real, if we can’t take your messages at genuine face value for your intentions, social media will become nothing more than a huge global junk mail postcard. Advertising, marketing and promotion play a big role on the social web, but there would be no business on the web if customers had not already colonized there first. Business must respect the social space of customers and general users. The rules of Retweet and fundamental ettiquette.
Successful social media advertising and marketing blends in with the voice of the community and works inside the motivation of the audience. You give your audience a takeaway your online community will truly value, most of us have no problems with giving you our attention and spreading your message.
Follow me on Twitter for the latest stream of content. Ahm’ jus’ Sayin.
A lucky few will be invited to the Butt of the Joke – posterous group.